FPDS Syria Program Assistant
Starting salary $26,721US dollars + Benefits
Anticipatory Staffing for Acting/Assignment Appointment or Specified Term Appointment until 31 March 2019.
43 Jal el-Dib Highway, Coolrite Building (seaside), Beirut, Lebanon
Closing date for applications:
19-02-2018 At midnight UTC/GMT
Summary of position:
The FPDS Syria Program Assistant will be part of Global Affairs Canada’s (GAC) Syria team based out of the Embassy of Canada in Beirut. The employee’s main responsibilities will be to provide program support to Canada’s Executive Coordinator for Syria within the context of the implementation of Canada’s Middle East Strategy in Lebanon and Syria. She/he will coordinate administrative, logistical, financial and other general tasks with other sections of the embassy and virtually with headquarters in Ottawa. She/he will also assist in research, compilation and synthesis of information, including conducting media scans from Arabic sources in Lebanon and Syria, and writing short summaries and reports.
Candidates will initially be screened based on the essential qualifications in relation to education, experience and languages.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a recognized university in the field of political science, economics, philosophy, literature, public administration or a related field as determined suitable by the selection committee.
• Proficiency in English OR French (reading, writing and speaking);
• Proficiency in Arabic (reading, writing and speaking).
• Experience working with governmental or international organizations in Lebanon or Syria, either through academic or professional work experience;
• Experience working in logistics, planning, scheduling and administrative support;
• Experience with financial administration such as working with forecasts, tracking expenditures or creating financial reports and budgets.
• Knowledge of the Government of Canada’s priorities in the Middle East;
• Knowledge of geopolitical issues currently affecting Lebanon and Syria;
• Knowledge of general financial and administrative methods;
• Knowledge of key stakeholders in Lebanon and Syria such as non-governmental organizations, government institutions, international organizations, and donors.
• Ability to research, compile and summarize information;
• Ability to meet deadlines;
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize;
• Attention to detail.
• Effective Interpersonal skills;
Candidates must also clearly demonstrate how they meet these factors in their cover letter. Preference may be given to candidates who have the following asset qualifications:
• A Master’s degree from a recognized university;
• Proficiency in classical Arabic (reading, writing, and speaking).
• A diverse and representational workforce, including form all employment equity groups.
• Willingness to work overtime including on evenings and weekends;
• Willingness to travel to locations within Lebanon and internationally.
Condition(s) of Employment:
• The successful candidates must hold a valid passport;
• Applicants must hold a valid working authorization covering the period of employment. If the employment is of an indeterminate nature, or becomes indeterminate, then the work authorization should be permanent or lead by itself to permanent work authorization;
• The appointment of the successful candidates will be subject to Medical Clearance and Reliability Check (RC);
• Reliability status must be maintained throughout employment – failure to do so may result in dismissal.
How to apply:
• Please follow the link http://www.wfca-tpce.com/vacancyView.php?requirementId=2162& and complete the online application form. Candidates are also required to upload a CV and a covering letter. Applications which do not include all of the requested documents or information will be rejected.
• Candidates must demonstrate concisely in their cover letter how they meet the essential and asset qualifications.
Area of selection:
This competition is open to Lebanese and non-Lebanese nationals currently residing in Lebanon with the legal right to work in Lebanon. This competition is also open to persons currently working at the Embassy of Canada in Beirut, Lebanon. The Canadian Government is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any ot