Head of Operations & Maintenance, Basra Iraq (power plant)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Country Director, you will be responsible for providing management direction and leadership to ensure that the the Power Plant facility is operated in a safe, reliable, and economic manner consistent with Industry Practices, major plant equipment operating manuals, site agreements, contracts, permits, rules, regulations and all company written instructions
Main Tasks & Accountabilities
• Provide leadership and management to the Operations & Maintenance department of the power plant
• Manage staff of about 30 employees, provide leadership and direction. Develop training plans for the people under his direction, with support from human resources to ensure that staff with special skills to perform their functions
• Responsible for ensuring that all plant personnel and plant objectives are in alignment with company policies and procedures.
• Prepare and administer annual operating and capital budgets
• Prepare targets for both monthly and annual operations ensuring that these are compatible with the objectives of the company
• Review and approve purchase requisitions for materials, equipment and spare parts of different departments according to the needs reported by management
• Review and approve the technical specifications for the procurement of external services generated by the operations department, ensuring compliance with standards established by the company.
• Optimize the profitability (risks, cost, revenues) of the plant in accordance with the company strategy.
• Administer the plant's Safety, Operations, Compliance, Maintenance, Administrative, Training, and Environmental QA/QC programs to assure the safe, efficient, and reliable operation of the plant
• Ensure the preservation of the integrity and safety of personnel, equipment and plant facilities through effective EHS management
• Manage the technical performance of the plants
• Manage the audits processes of the plants
• Prepare a monthly report of operations, which is an executive report with analysis of energy production, water consumption, fuel consumption and parasitic energy consumption which will be based on reports from the supervisor on duty. This report will be sent each month to the Country Director with a copy to the company COO and CFO
• Lead the development and periodic review of procedures for security operations and providing continuous monitoring reviews to ensure reliable operation of equipment.
Minimum Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
• Graduate degree in Mechanical, Electronic, Electrical, Electro-mechanical or industrial Engineering
• A least 15 years experience in power generation operations & maintenance, in particular experience in managing technical personnel and complex activities in a thermal power plant environment
• A detailed working knowledge of running a power generation plant of at least 10MW with multiple gas engines is essential.
• At least 5 years proven experience in a senior management / leadership position, with a team of at least 10 persons with various responsibilities
• Experience operating power plants in the Middle East, preferably with Iraq experience
• Experience in preparing management level operation & maintenance reports
• Knowledge of ISO 9001
• Excellent written and spoken command of English, with Arabic a strong plus
• Team Player & Proven Leader
• Relevant experience in power plant construction project management
• Highest integrity and rigor in Environment, Health, and Safety management