Structural engineers are primarily concerned with designing and constructing buildings and structures that are safe and capable of withstanding the elements to which they will be exposed, as well as improving the structural integrity of existing buildings. Structural Engineers design structures that must endure stresses and pressures inflicted through human use and environmental conditions. They configure structures, choose appropriate building material, inspect the construction work and ensure the structural soundness of buildings and structures.
• Prepare scheme drawings, from feasibility design through to detailed design
• Prepare reports such as feasibility studies, method statements, specifications, approval documents and detailed design documents
• Prepare works packages – bill of quantities, specifications and construction drawings
• Make calculations about pressures, loads and stresses.
• Consider the strength of construction materials and select appropriately.
• Provide technical advice on safe designs and construction.
• Analyze configurations of the basic components of a structure.
• Comply with Quality, Safety, and Environmental procedures
• Liaise with professional staff such as architects and engineers.
• Monitor and inspect all work undertaken by contractors to ensure structural soundness.
• Administer contracts and manage projects.
• Inspect properties to evaluate the conditions and foundations.
• Use computer aided design technology for simulation purposes.
• Degree in Structural Engineering from a reputable university
• At Least 3 years of work experience as a Structural Engineer
• Licensed Engineer
• Good experience covering detailed reinforced concrete design
• Hands-on experience with AutoCAD
• Good Project Management Skills
• Advanced knowledge of construction methods, materials and legal regulations.
• Sound understanding of physics and mathematics.
• Three-dimensional conceptual skills.
• Analytical thinker with strong problem-solving skills.
• Meticulous attention to detail with the superb organizational skills.
• Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.